Pages

July 3, 2014

Guided Math Book Study: Math Workshop



This has been such a crazy/hectic week!  As you may have read, I spent a portion of the last week in Atlanta at ISTE 2014, and before that I was busy presenting at a couple of Indiana conferences.  It's been fun, but today I've been pretty much a zombie.  I can finally say, "Bring on summer!"

In this chapter, we are focusing on guided math in math workshop.  Sammons describes math workshop as review, math fact automaticity, math games, problem solving practice, investigations, math journals, computer use, and math related to other subjects.  

I loved this chapter, and I can't wait to share my responses with you!

Being organized is key to anything in your classroom.  To help me in organizing my math workshop time, I have found that the number one thing that I've struggled with is the organization of math manipulatives.  Over the years, I've tried various things, but the thing that works best for me is to assign each student a bag of manipulatives.  This has significantly reduced the wait time when using manipulatives during math workshop.  When students are done with their baggies, they are responsible for making sure each item returns to their bag.  

I also use a system for activity rotations similar to that in Debbie Diller's Math Work Stations.  Each group rotates based on the practice activity I have planned for them.  Students know where they are to go, and it helps me when working with my small groups.

Going 1:1 excites me for math workshop.  I think each student having an iPad will open the possibilities for my students.  I can't wait!

Math workshop is a great time for practicing skills taught in lessons.  I can focus on specific skills for students, as well as incorporate some FUN!  My kids love playing I have, who has, number bingo, and a fun place value game we play with pool noodles.  

They also love using the iPad for math games.  Some of my favorite apps are Todo Math, Teach Me Math, Math Bingo, Geoboards, and Counting Caterpillar.  We also use QR codes for scavenger hunts, or just go around the school and snap pictures for our scavenger hunts.  

We do math stations during this time.  Stations allow me to give students the chance to review key concepts.

Math workshop helps me promote all of my students' learning goals because it's a fantastic time for review and reinforcement.  It's by far my favorite part of math time.

Now, for a giveaway!  Enter below to win!


And take a few minutes to check out these blogs for further insight on math workshop!

No comments:

Post a Comment